Car insurance companies rarely pay the full amount of a serious car accident, leaving victims with out-of-pocket expenses and lengthy financial recoveries, as well as physical rehabilitations. Eunice residents need to hit hard with a car accident attorney from Bart Bernard who will fight for their rights. We proudly serve all of Eunice, including St. Landry, Acadia, and Evangeline parishes.
Steps To Maximize Your Car Accident Claim
Car accidents happen in the blink of an eye. We don’t have to tell you how disorienting they can be. If you are able– take pictures of the scene, your vehicle, and your injuries. This can help verify the facts in your version of what happened. Your Eunice personal injury lawyers will gather photographs as well, but the sooner you log this evidence, the better.
Other steps to maximize your car accident settlement include:
- Contacting the authorities – Ask the police to write a report. You can visit the police station later to make a report if the authorities didn’t come to the scene of the accident. Typically, they’ll file if a party is taken to the hospital, but they may not immediately draw up a report if the collision seems minor at the time.
- Maintaining the evidence – Keep all damaged parts of your vehicle, including fenders, bumpers, side panels, and supports. We can have these components analyzed by an expert. If you don’t speak up, the auto mechanic could try to repair and re-use damaged parts, or will discard the evidence as part of standard protocol.
- Asking questions about your insurance coverage – Consulting with a personal injury attorney ensures that you fully understand your medical coverage. When Bart Bernard is on your side, we make sure the insurance company sends all medical payments to us for dispersal before assuming anything. Otherwise, the ambulance or other emergency service could make an early claim that uses up all your medical payment coverage.
- Resisting insurance trickery – The insurance adjuster will claim to be a “caring friend” looking out for you after the accident when, in fact, their job is to settle with you as quickly as possible, for as little money as possible. Never agree to have your statement recorded or speak with adjusters without legal representation.
- Seeing the right doctor – First, seek emergency medical treatment from a hospital first responder or your family doctor, depending on the severity of your injuries. Next, you’ll want to see an experienced chiropractor who will take the time to diagnose your injuries to the fullest extent and refer you to the right specialists. Diagnostics like MRIs, x-rays, and CT scans are the key to getting a settlement worth more than $10,000. Lastly, seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to determine the effects of mild traumatic brain injury or post-traumatic stress disorder can increase your claim.
- Attending all follow-up medical appointments – Do not try to tough it out after your accident. Follow your treating physician’s instructions to the letter, taking all prescribed medication and attending all follow-up appointments. Otherwise, the other side could point to your actions and say your injuries must not have been as severe as you claim. Keep a journal of your day-to-day symptoms and feelings to demonstrate how the accident has affected your life.
- Choosing a car accident lawyer right away – If someone hit you while working for a government entity, you could have as little as six months to initiate a lawsuit. In a standard personal injury case in Louisiana, you have one year to file a lawsuit. The one exception is for minors involved in car accidents; their statute of limitations does not begin until they reach 18, the age of majority. We are happy to answer any questions you have about the time limits for filing a lawsuit.
You’re Smart. Get Bart.™ When you’ve been injured in an automobile accident through little to no fault of your own, you deserve the best possible representation. Bart Bernard has secured millions of dollars on behalf of car accident victims in Eunice and the surrounding area. Our success enables us to offer no-cost consultations and contingency-based representation. You only pay us IF and AFTER we obtain compensation for you. Contact us to explore your legal options.