Hammond residents of all types use our public bus system. Many are students at Southeastern Louisiana University. Others are workaday people who rely on buses as their main means of transportation. Still, others are attracted to the reasonable fares and convenience.
No matter the reason, you have a right to expect a safe, comfortable experience every time. But, sadly, that’s not always the case. Here are some reasons why these accidents are all too common these days:
- Distracted, impaired, or unqualified drivers: The robust national economy has made it harder for transport authorities to find suitable candidates for bus driving positions. Those who do take the job may lack the skills needed to handle the constant stress and challenges.
- Unsafe buses: A modern city bus has thousands of individual parts, all of which must work properly to safeguard passengers. But maintenance crews sometimes overlook important preventative steps. Other times, tight budgets force them to re-use worn parts or push them past their normal service lives.
- Obsolete or poorly planned routes: An urban environment like Hammond’s is constantly changing. New buildings are going up, old ones are coming down, and population patterns are always shifting. Route planners must adapt to these demands on short notice. When they fail to do so, bus passengers may pay the price.
- Infrastructure-related hazards: These can include potholes, broken water lines, exposed electrical wires, missing or damaged street signs, or street debris. These dangers can compromise a bus’s ability to operate safely.
As you can see, the fault for a bus accident can be traced back to any number of parties, including the manufacturer, the transit authority, the city itself, or even private individuals.
It takes a highly skilled Louisiana bus accident attorney to unravel this tangled web of liability. But the responsibility for choosing the right law firm rests with you. Here are some tips to help you make this all-important decision:
- Remember that experience counts: Academic knowledge alone is no substitute for real-world skills gained through decades of hands-on practice.
- Know who’s on your side: Who do you think the insurance firms and bus companies are looking out for? Not you, we’re willing to bet. Don’t let anyone pressure you into accepting a settlement before talking to a bus accident lawyer.
- Never pay out-of-pocket costs: Hammond bus accident lawyers have no business charging big fees to talk to an attorney. A no-cost consultation is essential for your wellbeing and peace of mind. Don’t settle for anything else.
Bart Bernard has been practicing personal injury law right here in the Pelican State for more than 20 years. He’s known and respected across the legal community for his ethics and abilities.
The Bart Bernard team of Hammond bus accident lawyers can help you to get the compensation you deserve. Contact our office today to arrange your free consultation.
Hit hard with Bart Bernard™.