Kelly green and white are the colors of Morgan City High School, which opened its doors in 1911. According to the 2015 U.S. News & World Report “Best High Schools,” Morgan City High School was ranked a Bronze Medal School. The school’s athletic offerings for young men and women are diverse. Students can take part in:
- Outdoor Track and Field
A brief history of Morgan City High School
The class of 1911 had just six graduates, but the 1912-1913 school term had more than 650 enrollments. By 1918, many new families were moving to the area, working in shipyards to meet the needs of WWI. Given the growing number of students, the original school building was much too cramped, sparking the construction of a new, $40,000 brick building, located on the corner of Third Street and Brashear. The new MCHS building was completed in 1922.
In the 1955 school year, Morgan City High School had to expand its campus once again to accommodate better the influx of people drawn by the burgeoning oil and gas industry. Land was purchased on Marguerite Street that had enough room to create a baseball park and football stadium for the school’s athletic programs.
In the fall of 2014, Morgan City High School was bestowed with a new media center, modern library and student commons area to the tune of $3,500,000. The 8,000s square-foot library featured multi-media production areas and a computer lab.
Morgan City Boxing
In the 1930s, Morgan City High School boasted one of the best boxing teams in Louisiana. In 1932, the boxing team tied for second place.
From 1931-1935, MCHS student Linden Bonner won his weight class in four of the first five Louisiana State High School Boxing Championship Tournaments. He was later named the 1936 Southern A.A.U. Champion and in 2013, Linden Bonner was inducted to the Louisiana Boxing Hall of Fame.
Championships and achievements
Morgan City High School was won numerous championships in several sports:
- 1913: Morgan City Tigers won their first state championship in football
- 1922 and 1923: The Tigers claimed their second and third state champions in football
- 1957: The Tigers football team went 10-0 to win the District 5-AA Championships
- 1972: The Tiger football team was the District 6-AAA Champions and the top-ranked team in the state
- 1973: Morgan City High School won the Class AAA Baseball State Championship
- 1974: MCHS won the 1974 Class AAAA Cross Country State Championship
- 1984: Morgan City High School won the Class AAA Softball State Championship
- 1989: The Tiger baseball team, under Gayle Robinson and Coach Tim Hymel, were the District 7-AAA Champions
- 1990: Boys basketball team advances to Class AAA semifinals in the Top 24 Tournament of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association
- 2015: Members of the MCHS Track & Field team won the Class AAAA 4×100 Relay State Championship
- 2016: The Lady Tiger Bowlers finished the season as State Runner-Up
The People’s Trial Lawyer™
Louisiana residents in need of expert legal advice are encouraged to call Bart Bernard Injury Lawyers for a complimentary case evaluation. For more than 25 years, we have been helping victims of personal injury fight for fair compensation. We provide client-focused representation on a contingent-fee basis.